Make a safe attachment with Velcro in 5 simple steps.
The newly launched Orfit Crystal NS is an innovative material that offers many advantages, such as full transparency at room temperature and during the activation, form and hardening process. It also remains transparent on your patient’s limb!
Orfit Crystal NS also offers enhanced flexibility and a non-stick coating with antibacterial properties.
What can Orfit Crystal NS be used for?
- Proprioceptive orthotics (e.g. wrist-related pathologies)
- Functional orthotics (e.g. finger or thumb osteoarthritis)
- Supportive orthotics (e.g. TFCC and/or other joint disorders)
- Protection over sensitive skin during athletics and sports activities
- Monitoring of wounds and scar tissue
- Lightweight orthotics for elderly and pediatric patients with fragile skin
Despite the great advantage of the non-stick coating, it still offers a challenge to attach Velcro straps to the surface of Orfit Crystal. (Due to the superior non-stick coating, regular confirmation of adhesive tape is not possible).
That’s why we’ve created this roadmap on safely attaching belts to Orfit Crystal NS.
Step 1 – prepare the orthotic
Form the orthotic (along the circumference) on the patient’s arm.
Remove all excess material with the scissors.
Step 2 – make a slot
Make a slit (narrow perforation) with a hole chisel and a hammer on both sides of the orthotic. Note the correct placement of the straps for a good fit. Keep sufficient distance from the edge of the orthotic to prevent the material from tearing when fastening the hook and loop straps.
Alternatively, a perforator and sharp scissors can be used. In this case, poke two holes for each necessary belt opening and connect them by cutting with sharp scissors.
Step 3 – attach the loop straps
Prepare the required pieces of loopband. Make sure they are long enough, because you will have to double them to attach them to the hookband. Pull the loop through one of the slots.
Attach the loop belt around one of the slots
- Heat some dry Orficast with the heat gun and stick it on the inside of the loop tires.
- Press the short end of the loop strap on top of the Orficast with sufficient pressure.
- Pull this end of the loop a little further through the slot so you can fold it over.
- Press the Orficast into the other side of the belt to make a loop around the slot.
- Pull the loop through the opposite slot.
Step 4 – apply the hookband
Around the corners of a piece of self-adhesive or double-sided hook ribbon. Activate the glue with a heat gun and attach it to the dorsal aspect (back) of the loop belt.
Step 5 – finish the straps
Place the orthotic on the patient and fasten the hook and loop straps. If the loop straps are too long, cut them to a suitable length.
More information about the Orficast Crystal NS? Click below!Orficast crystal ns